Building Division

Construction 2018.JPG

Temporary Changes to Building Inspection Policy 

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic the City's Building Services Division has temporarily modified their services effective immediately. The reason for these changes is to minimize exposure between the public and City employees as requested by public health officials. Essential services (law enforcement, snow/ice, road repair, signal light maintenance, etc) will continue to be provided. 

For the time being, the Building Division will not be conducting inspections on the interior of a home or basement, such as but not limited to furnaces, water heaters, basement finishes and interior remodels. However, inspections for new construction and for the exterior of homes such as a new roof, deck, gazebo, etc. will occur as usual. Exceptions and/or emergencies will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis to ensure public health and safety.

The City continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic and take the appropriate precautions recommended by Tri-County Health and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE). For questions, please use the City's website to report a problem or call the City's 24-hr Citizen Response Center at 303-325-8000; call volumes may become heavy. For resources and additional information about COVID, visit

The Building Department enforces codes and regulations established by the 2015 International Building Code governing the construction, alteration, and maintenance of buildings and structures within the City of Centennial for the protection of residents and property.

The Building Department reviews and issues permits for construction projects like new houses, kitchen remodels, tenant finishes, furnace/AC installations, window replacements, re-roofs and more.

Do I need a permit?

Permit-Class.pdf(PDF, 443KB) Permit Review Process(PDF, 163KB)

Apply for a permit

To check the status of your permit access the Online Permit Portal

Schedule, track, and view inspection information.

Request Inspection

Note: Next business day inspections must be scheduled by 4:30 p.m. the day before. Inspection hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

To build or renovate properties in the City of Centennial, contractors must be registered to verify their certification. Contractor registration protects homeowners and the City from legal liability and ensures the structural integrity of our buildings. 

Apply for a Contractor's License

Current building codes adopted by the City include:

View local Building Code amendments here

  • 2018 Centennial Property Maintenance Code(PDF, 835KB)
  • 2017 National Electric Code (NEC)
  • 2015 International Residential Code (IRC)
  • 2015 International Building Code (IBC)
  • 2015 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
  • 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
  • 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
  • 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
  • 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
  • 2015 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
  • 2009 ANSI (As referenced in the 2009 International Building Code)


There are multiple programs which provide assistance to residents of the City of Centennial.

Learn about Home Assistance Programs

Centennial’s Home Improvement Program or “HIP” helps qualifying homeowners make the most of their repair and remodel dollars with cash rebates.

View Home Improvement Program information.

The City of Centennial wants residents to thrive in their homes as long as they wish no matter the age or circumstance.

Learn about the Centennial Lifelong Homes program.