Arapahoe Bridge over Big Dry Creek Replacement Project
Reconstruction of the bridge on Arapahoe Road, east of University Boulevard is underway. The existing bridge over Big Dry Creek was built in 1945 and is past its useful life. The Arapahoe Road Bridge project will replace the existing bridge structure and make other related improvements.
Project Update (June 2023)
After discovering a utility conflict with the proposed bridge, the team has been working closely with Denver Water to relocate a waterline to accommodate the bridge work and improve an aging piece of Denver Water’s infrastructure. The construction team expects traffic impacts to extend into September.
Road closures should be expected during the project. Prior to any closures an announcement will be sent to advise the public of alternate travel routes. People living in the nearby neighborhoods will still be able to get to their homes.
Work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please pay attention while driving in the work zone and never drive distracted. Motorists should expect increased Arapahoe County Sheriff patrols in neighborhoods north and south of Arapahoe Road to manage cut-through traffic. All construction activities are weather-dependent and subject to change for the safety of crews and the traveling public.
To stay informed, sign up for our project announcements here, or follow us on social media @CentennialGov.
Upcoming Construction Impacts:
- Week of May 30 – Crews will be pouring concrete for new bridge features including wingwalls, abutments, and pilasters.
- Week of June 5 – Crews will work on backfilling excavated materials around the new concrete abutments.
- Week of June 12 – Crews will complete backfilling operations around the new concrete abutments and prepare to set new bridge beams (girders) on the north side of the bridge. There will be overnight work planned on June 14 to complete the girder set. This girder set will require an overnight closure of Arapahoe Road – please, watch your email inbox for a construction notice with more information on the closure and detour. Through the rest of the week, the team will install boulders to stabilize the stream.
- Remainder of June – Crews will install the bridge deck and the new bridge infrastructure on the newly installed girders to prepare for roadway installation.
- Ongoing – Crews will continue utility relocation in partnership with Denver Water. Traffic continues to travel in new lane configurations to accommodate construction. One lane will be provided westbound, and two lanes will be provided eastbound (with occasional lane closures during construction hours) through the duration of the next construction phase. Detour routes on University Boulevard and Dry Creek Road are highly encouraged.
The pedestrian/bike path is closed for the duration of the project. VIEW THE DETOUR MAP
View the project flyer(PDF, 142KB).
View images and videos of construction.
This reconstruction project will: