Keep Centennial green!
Looking for a way to conserve water and energy? Want to know where you can take your cardboard for recycling, or how to dispose of hazardous waste like batteries or old paint? Researching ways to build green or renovate your home in an environmentally-friendly way? Recycling options in Centennial.
The City of Centennial has provided the following resources so that you can find information about conservation of resources and reduction of pollution.
Tri-County Health Department - Household Chemical Disposal
Curbside, Inc. Door-to-Door - Household Hazard Waste
Wheels For Wishes - Wheels For Wishes picks up old and broken down vehicles, at no cost to owners, and recycles or auctions them to benefit Make-A-Wish Colorado.
Xcel Energy is offering some tips to help customers find relief from the heat and their bills this summer. Home cooling can account for about half of a summertime electric bill, and there are small changes customers can make in their day and evening routines to save money, including setting thermostats to 78 degrees or higher if your health allows, turning off unnecessary lights and postponing the use of major appliances until after 8 p.m.
Xcel Energy also offers a full selection of programs and rebates to help businesses save energy and money. See the options here: Smarter Energy Use for a Better Business
Additional summertime energy-saving tips include:
- Using electric fans instead of air conditioning when practical.
- Closing drapes and blinds to keep out direct sunlight during hot periods.
- Avoiding using evaporative coolers or humidifiers at the same time an air conditioner is running.
- Operating energy-intensive appliances, such as dishwashers, washing machines and dryers during early morning and late evening hours.
- Limiting the opening and reopening of refrigerators, which are major users of electricity in most homes.
- When possible, businesses should shift power-intensive work processes to morning or late evening hours.
Find more energy saving tips and resources online: