Senior Technology Empowerment Program (S.T.E.P.)
Being comfortable with technology can help maintain and enhance the quality of life of older adults. Older adults (60+) were invited to attend a technology training course hosted by the Centennial Senior Commission and GroovyTek. This technology training program included two workshops in September at Southglenn Library. After the completion of these workshops, participants received one in-person support session with a certified technology specialist and one coaching call to answer any remaining questions brought up throughout the duration of the course.
*Check back for more information about future programming*
Topics covered in program:
- Technology Landscape: Understand the landscape and who shapes it from a consumer perspective. Learn about popular technology companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google and Amazon.
- Your Device Inventory: Understand where you fit within technology so you can create your own device plan. Learn about what you own, available updates, and possibilities for upgrades.
- Online Security Basics: Learn best practices to protect yourself while navigating the online world of social media, banking, etc. Learn about hacking, fraud, passwords and social media.
- Communication Platforms: Pros and cons of different communication platforms and how to use them. Learn about text, email and video channels.
- Lifestyle Applications: Ways in which you can use desktop and mobile applications to improve your day-to-day life. Learn about Netflix, Spotify, Airbnb and Mint.