Spark Centennial 2022 Cohort Winners
Published on October 18, 2022
Spark Centennial is a program launched by the City of Centennial designed to develop a sense of community and vibrant shopping districts through placemaking installations, unique customer experiences and innovative projects.
Thirty-one businesses applied to the 2022 Spark Centennial Accelerator Cohort, which provided hands-on training and technical assistance to help business owners create one-of-a-kind experiences only available in Centennial. Nineteen of the businesses completed the Accelerator and received $500 to prototype an interactive experience with the public which resulted in a total of $9,500 provided in during this phase. The participating businesses engaged 530 community members, sold out four experiences, and generated more than $13,000 in sales and donations.
Based on findings from the prototypes, business owners applied for one of four grand prizes. The prize funding is included to highlight and develop truly unique and transformative experiences. After review by a panel consisting of two Centennial Council Members, Centennial Staff, and business owners who participated in the 2021 Spark Centennial cohort, the City of Centennial is proud to announce the winners of the 2022 Spark Centennial Cohort:
- $10,000 prize – Mauzie’s Fine Jewelry – Mauzie’s prototyped a Jewelry Day Spa - A rejuvenating experience for people and their jewelry. Participants were given the VIP treatment with a cleaning and rhodium plating for their jewelry, a facial, and tasty treats to enjoy while they browsed.
- $3,500 prize – Mrs. Fancy Plants – Mrs. Fancy Plants is offering Planting with a Twist! Attendees will paint a terracotta pot during the first 90 minutes of the workshop and then choose from a curated selection of plants to plant in their new pot. Visit her website for seasonal workshops for plant parents.
Mauzie’s Fine Jewelry and Mrs. Fancy Plants are participating in Centennial’s Whiskey Warmer event the afternoon of Saturday, October 22 at Centennial Center Park. To learn more about the event and purchase tickets visit: centennialco.gov/events.
- $3,500 prize - American Lore Theater (ALT) & Japanese Arts Network (JA-NE) – In 2020, JA-NE created an audio drama, ZOTTO: A Supernatural Japanese Folktale about the ‘yokai’, supernatural spirits found in Japanese folklore. In 2021 ALT joined JA-NE as a producer to evolve the project into an immersive theatrical experience. ZOTTO will be a family-friendly explorable space that appeals to multiple generations of audiences. ZOTTO is seeking space in Centennial to bring Japanese pop culture and folkloric history together through an immersive story combining live performances, spectacular sets, and photo opportunities.
- $3,500 prize + Further technical assistance - Fruits of Our Labor – Fruits of Our Labor (FoOL) develops DIY kits that create connection between mind and bod(ies). FoOL will work with Centennial businesses like coffee shops and breweries to develop and sell DIY kits designed to be completed solo or as a group. Each kit will include all supplies and instructions needed, a QR code leading to a suggested playlist, and cocktail recipe for at home enjoyment.
This program is only possible because of the trust and dedication of the 2022 Spark Centennial Cohort business leaders. We encourage you to learn more about all they have to offer. Participating businesses and their prototypes are listed below.
- Aspire Education - Let's Talk Education Conference - A gathering of people from different sectors of education to meet and discuss current issues in education.
- Cacau Creates - Creative Biz Leap Community - Creative Biz Leap is a membership-based community experience focusing on guided learning experiences involving members' art, enhancing your art practice, accountability challenges, and exclusive art business-related content for surface pattern designers, artists, and illustrators.
- Colorful Yarns – Do it Yourself Dye Studio - A studio to dye your own yarn and more!
- Denver’s Cupid - LGBTQ Connection Lab - Denver's Cupid will collaborate with designers and artists for an exploration of scientific research into attraction and relationship formation, especially for LGBTQ audiences.
- KKrol - Impossible Causes - A community-driven art making experience.
- Optical Matters – Windows of Life - Transforming a front window display into a creative experience.
- Piney Creek Yarn - Free Form Fiber Art Project - A fiber art experience where participants will create a square of their own perceptions and scenes.
- Simply Pizza Truck – OUT OF THE BOX - More than pizza, an out of the box experience!
- SoSu Artists Collective – Clay Café – A Clay Cafe to promote art making, creativity and community.
- Temperature Tee – Test the Tee - A cooling experience by Temperature Tee shirts.
- Trails Recreation Center – Trails XCursion - An interactive scavenger hunt that will take people to their parks and trails, as well as to local businesses. This hunt will include exercise, some theatrics, teamwork, and charity.
Curious about Spark Centennial? Want to get involved? Let us know your thoughts at Spark@centennialco.gov.
Do you like FUN? Us, too! FARM-TO-SPACESHIP is a network of artists, entrepreneurs, researchers, foodies, designers, farmers, scientists, executives and community leaders working to make our businesses, workspaces and neighborhoods more fun. Our programs provide the support and resources to imagine, test and launch [super fun] experiential offerings.