Land Development Process


The flowchart below represents the land development process within the City of Centennial under the Land Development Code. Many of these processes may occur in tandem with one another to streamline the development process.

Thinking about developing in the City?

Contact the Zoning Hotline at 303-754-3308 for assistance. You may also get started by completing the pre-submittal application process(PDF, 332KB).

View a summary of the Land Development Process(PDF, 621KB) flow chart.

Land Development Code Process

  • Annexation* (if you are not located within the City)
  • Zoning/Rezoning* (Only required if you wish to change your existing zoning)
  • Site Plan* (may be administrative)
  • Platting/Subdivision (if necessary)
  • Site Civil Construction Drawings
  • Development and Building Permit
*Requires Public Hearing

Helpful Information for Planning & Zoning Presentations

Design & Construction Standards

The 2016 City of Centennial Roadway Design and Construction Standards (the Manual) is the primary standard for infrastructure design and used in conjunction with the 2014 Public Works Right-of-Way Regulations to dictate construction standards within the City.

The 2016 Roadway Design and Construction Standards was adopted by City Council and became effective on August 17, 2016. View the Manual.

Stormwater (SEMSWA)

As the COVID-19 outbreak is causing changes daily, SEMSWA is transitioning its services to respond to Federal, State and Local directives to help limit the spread of the disease and to protect the health of our community, partners, and our staff.

In light of these circumstances, SEMSWA is changing business operations as follows:

  • Many of SEMSWA staff are working remotely this week (March 16th– March 20th) and they plan to have all office staff working remotely and the office closed to the public from March 23rd until at least April 3rd.
  • SEMSWA is conducting necessary meetings via web conferencing.
  • Continue to use the main number (303) 858-8844 to contact SEMSWA staff, and the Contact Us / Report a Problem form at, as needed. Staff will continue to receive email at their regular email addresses. Phone messages and emails will be answered promptly.
  • Field services staff, both Maintenance and Inspections, are working in the field safely and according to guidelines.
  • SEMSWA will provide essential services during this time with business hours as normal from 8:00AM to 5:00PM, Monday – Friday.

SEMSWA will stay abreast of the rapidly evolving developments, and any changes to our services or channels of communication will be updated on our website, as needed. We value your partnership and wish you and your loved ones good health.

Within the City of Centennial, the Southeast Metro Stormwater Authority (SEMSWA) is the responsible agency that reviews and approves stormwater plans, grading and erosion control plans, and is the City’s designated Floodplain Administrator.

SEMSWA reviews and approves various plans and reports for storm water compliance through the planning and development process. These plans and reports include but are not limited to: 

  • Land use cases
  • Construction documents
  • Drainage plans and reports
  • Grading, erosion and sediment control plans and reports
  • Floodplain development

SEMSWA is responsible for managing the City of Centennial's federally mandated MS-4 permit as well as enforcing the various drainage and storm water regulations and ensuring that the applicant is aware of them. For more information, visit SEMSWA or call 303-858-8844.

Flood Awareness

Flooding isn't only caused by rain. Flooding can also occur from melting snow, inadequate drainage systems and failed dams. What this means to you:

  • Every property is at risk for flooding. Properties located in a floodplain are high risk and are more susceptible to flooding. Flooding is the nation's number one natural disaster. 
  • Flooding can happen anywhere and at any time, including in areas along smaller creeks and streams that are not shown on any flood map. Even streets can flood.
  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has not mapped all floodplain areas. 

Know Your Flood Risk

Contact the Southeast Metro Stormwater Authority (SEMSWA) for flood map information.

If your property is in the floodplain, you need to know:

  • You should consider flood insurance; homeowner's insurance does not cover flooding.
  • Any improvements to your property within the floodplain require a floodplain development permit.  Contact SEMSWA for permitting information.

Public Improvement Agreement

Public Improvement Agreement

If public improvements are required as part of the land development process, the property owner and/or developer is required to enter into a Public Improvement Agreement with the City.


The Public Improvement Agreement identifies the public and private improvements required to be constructed, and provides assurances that the necessary Public Improvements will be constructed to the City’s established standards in a timely manner and subject to applicable warranty periods. Except as otherwise agreed by the City, all mortgagees are required to subordinate their liens and interest in the property to the covenants and the restrictions of the Public Improvement Agreement.


The Public Improvement Agreement may, if approved by the City, provide that the installation, construction, or reconstruction of Public Improvements be in phases. Any phase of development approved through the Public Improvement Agreement must be an integrated, self-contained project consisting of all Public Improvements necessary to serve the portion of property to be developed as part of such phase. The City may impose reasonable conditions on the phasing of development in order to preserve the integrity of the development or the public health, safety and welfare of the community and adjacent properties. 


The Public Improvement Agreement also requires the Developer to submit financial security for the required Public Improvements. Financial security shall be provided to the City prior to and as a condition of the issuance of a Development Permit.