Flooding isn't only caused by rain. Flooding can also occur from melting snow, inadequate drainage systems and failed dams. What this means to you:
- Every property is at risk for flooding. Properties located in a floodplain are high risk and are more susceptible to flooding. Flooding is the nation's number one natural disaster.
- Flooding can happen anywhere and at any time, including in areas along smaller creeks and streams that are not shown on any flood map. Even streets can flood.
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has not mapped all floodplain areas.
Know your Flood Risk
Contact the Southeast Metro Stormwater Authority (SEMSWA) for flood map information.
If your property is in the floodplain, you need to know:
- You should consider flood insurance; homeowner's insurance does not cover flooding.
- Any improvements to your property within the floodplain require a floodplain development permit. Contact SEMSWA for permitting information.