Building permits are required for new buildings, renovations and additions to existing buildings to ensure all structures within the City are safe to occupy.
Types of Permits
There are many types of building permits based upon the construction and improvements you are seeking to do. However, there are two types of permits the City typically issues:
- Over the counter permits: Over the counter permits are generally routine in nature and can be issued while you are waiting, such as re-roofing, water heaters, furnace, new windows, etc.
- Permits for new construction, additions or remodeling.
All other permits take time to review due to the complexly of the project. The City guarantees project review timeframes based upon the permit type.
- New Residential, Residential Remodels and Additions, Decks, Basement Finishes – five business days
- Commercial Accessory Structures and Tenant Finish and Remodels – ten business days
- New Commercial, Large Commercial Additions, Residential Master Plans – 15 business days
Rapid Review Thursday
On Thursdays, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., the permits listed below will be issued over the counter, in addition to the standard over the counter permits:
- Shade covers
- Uncovered decks
- Patio covers
- Egress windows
- Basement finishes
- Fence permits
To get started, download a building application. Various building guides are available for download to assist you in your application. You may also submit your plans electronically, simply download the Electronic Plan Submittal Instructions.