One Stop Shop for Developers

Contact Information

Call our 24-Hour Citizen Response Center at 303-325-8000

Business Newsroom

Are you a developer looking to build in Centennial? Interested in changing your existing zoning? In this section you will find information about Centennial's land development process, zoning information and required permitting.

Land Development Process

  • Step 1Pre-Submittal Application
    Determination of process, fees, referral requirements and opportunities for comments and questions. Learn more about Development Pre-Submittals.
  • Step 2Land Development Application Submittal and Review
    Review and comment of site plan/plat/PIA, etc. Public Hearings (if required) scheduled after all comments are substantially addressed. Learn more and apply for a Development Permit.
  • Step 3Construction Drawings (CDs)
    Submitted after at least one public hearing. Can be submitted concurrently with site plan if no public hearing are required. Learn more about Site-Civil Construction Documents.
  • Step 4Development Permit
    Issued upon completion of land development application process, completion of CDs, and submittal of collateral for PIA public engineer's cost estimate (ECE). 
  • Step 5Pre-Construction Meeting
    Scheduled prior to construction. Meeting covers construction hours and restrictions, contractor/City contact, and inspection processes. 
  • Step 6Building Permit
    Submitted after at least one round of Construction Drawings (CDs) are reviewed. Issued at or after Development Permit. Learn more and apply for a Building Permit.
  • Step 775 Percent Walkthrough
    Walkthrough with City, Southeast Metro Stormwater Authority (SEMSWA), Fire Safety, Building Division, etc. to resolve any issues before CO.
  • Step 8Probationary Acceptance
    Reduction in collateral associated with the PIA public engineer's cost estimate (90 percent). Hold remaining 10 percent for two years. 
  • Step 9Final Acceptance
    Final 10 percent collateral is released, project is accepted and closed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Permits - Building, Signs & Right-of-Way

Building Permits

Building permits are required for new buildings, renovations and additions to existing buildings to ensure all structures within the City are safe to occupy. 

Types of Permits

There are many types of building permits based upon the construction and improvements you are seeking to do. However, there are two types of permits the City typically issues:

  • Over the counter permits: Over the counter permits are generally routine in nature and can be issued while you are waiting, such as re-roofing, water heaters, furnace, new windows, etc.
  • Permits for new construction, additions or remodeling: Permits that take time to review due to the complexly of the project. The City guarantees project review timeframes based upon the permit type.
    • New Residential, Residential Remodels and Additions, Decks, Basement Finishes – five business days
    • Commercial Accessory Structures and Tenant Finish and Remodels – ten business days
    • New Commercial, Large Commercial Additions, Residential Master Plans – 15 business days

Get Started

Download a building application. Various building guides are available for download to assist you in your application. You may also submit your plans electronically, simply download the Electronic Plan Submittal Instructions

Visit the Building Permits webpage for more information. 

Fence Permits

A permit is required for all new fences and the replacement of existing fences where height, location or materials are changing (e.g., chain link to wood). Permits are processed in approximately five business days but may be obtained over the counter during Rapid Review Thursdays (on Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.).

Visit the Fence Regulations webpage to learn about Centennial's fence regulations and permitting process.

Sign Permits

A permit is required for all new signs and replacement of or modifications to existing signs. Signage allowed depends on the zoning of the property. Properties are zoned under the Land Development Code and sign regulations are governed based upon Article 6, Signs and Lighting. Check your zoning.

Sign Permit fees are based upon the valuation of the sign (minimum review fee of $50). The City collects City and County Use Tax on the building and construction materials at time of permit issuance. Please follow the instructions listed on the application. Permits are processed in approximately five business days.

Sign Permit Application

Temporary Signs

With some exceptions, banners, flags, sidewalk signs and other similar devices may be permitted as a temporary sign through an approved Temporary Sign Permit. For more information on temporary signs, please download the Temporary Signage Information Guide or call the Zoning Hotline at 303-754-3308 to speak with a planner.

All temporary signs are reviewed against the provisions in Article 6, Division 5, Temporary Signs of the Land Development Code. While there are no fees for temporary signs, they still must obtain a sign permit.

Temporary Sign Permit Application

Visit the Sign Regulations webpage to learn about Centennial's sign regulations and permitting processes. 

Streets - Right-of-Way Permits

A Right-of-Way (ROW) Permit is required for all construction and maintenance within the City’s ROW, placing dumpsters on residential streets, or requesting a street closure and transporting oversized/overweight loads on City streets. Some of the different types of ROW permits issued by the City include:

Visit the Right-of-Way Permits page to learn more about the different types of ROW permits issued by the City. 

  • Centennial Center Park’s splash pad has been nominated in USA Today’s latest 10Best Readers' Choice travel award contest. Voters have four weeks to vote online for the candidate of their choice. Vote...

  • The weekly “Noon Hour” meeting with Centennial Mayor Cathy Noon is cancelled this Wednesday, May 3. The meeting will reconvene Wednesday, May 10, 2017. Mayor Noon will be at the Centennial Civic Cent...

  • The Centennial City Council has selected three finalists for the City Manager position vacated by John Danielson in October. An opportunity for the public to meet the candidates is scheduled for T...

  • The City of Centennial Youth Commission and Arapahoe/Douglas Works! are hosting a young adult job fair on May 5, 2017 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Lima Plaza Arapahoe Ballroom, located at 6954 S. Lim...

  • (Centennial, Colo) - The City of Centennial is proud to announce that it has received the 2017 Gallup Great Workplace Award. The award was created to recognize organizations for their extraordinary a...

  • The City of Centennial is accepting applications to serve on the City’s Election Commission . Terms are for three years or until the end of a previously established term in the case of a mid-term va...

  • On Saturday, April 22, the City of Centennial is hosting its first Earth Day event, focused on gardening. The event is scheduled from 10 a.m. to  2 p.m. at Centennial Center Park located 13050 E. Pea...

Quick Contact Info:

City of Centennial
13133 East Arapahoe Road
Centennial, CO  80112

(303) 325-8000 - 24 Hour Citizen Response Center
(720) 488-0933 - Fax Number



ADA Notice

Contact Us

City of Centennial
Powered by Real Time Solutions - Website Design & Document Management