Looking to start a business? Managing a bar? Hosting an arts and crafts fair? Are you a licensed massage therapist working in Centennial? This section helps business owners with business registration, sales tax licensing, and licensing for specialized businesses such as liquor stores and pawnbrokers.
- Business Registration & Sales Tax Licensing
The City of Centennial requires all businesses located in the City to obtain a Retail Sales Tax License or a Business Registration, depending on the nature of the business.
- The Retail Sales Tax License or Business Registration fee is $25.00
- Retail Sales Tax Licenses and Business Registrations are biennial (2-year), expiring December 31 of the succeeding calendar year.
- Vendors with a Retail Sales Tax License are not required to also have a Business Registration.
Apply online for Sales Tax License or Business Registration
Colorado Secretary of State: Registration of business entities and trade names
Colorado Department of Revenue: State tax licenses and accounts
Tri-County Health Department: Food service business permits
For additional information please visit the Business Licensing & Registration page or contact the Tax & Licensing Division at 303-325-8000
- Home-Based Business
The Home-Based Business Code allows businesses to be operated in a single family home as a secondary use and ensures business operations will not have an negative impact on the character and quality of the life in the City’s neighborhoods. The City has specific standards to address the physical features and operations associated with home based businesses. However, Homeowners Association (HOA) covenants, conditions and restrictions surpass the standards of this code section.
Starting a Home Business?
If you are interested in opening a home-based business, please consider the following guidelines:
- The business must be registered with the City and adhere to City standards
- Operations must be conducted entirely within the main residence
- There may be up to one employee who does not live at the residence
- Outdoor storage, displays or advertising is not allowed
- Excessive storage of hazardous materials is not allowed
- Excessive noise, odors, smoke, dust, glare or light is not allowed
- Commercial vehicles, equipment and trailers associated with the business are not allowed on the property
- Deliveries to and from the home by commercial vehicles are prohibited
- Businesses not compatible with a residential neighborhood are not allowed
See section 12-2-404 of the Land Development Code (LDC) for home-based business standards
Report a violation online or call our 24-Hour Citizen Response Center at 303-325-8000.
- Liquor Licensing
Liquor Licensing in the State of Colorado is a two-tiered process. For most licensing matters, local approval must be obtained prior to final approval by the State Liquor Enforcement Division. Matters requiring a public hearing are decided by the Centennial Liquor Licensing Authority, while other matters of an administrative nature are handled by the City Clerk and staff.
Learn more about the procedures and access required forms.
- Massage Parlor Licensing
Massage Parlors must be licensed by the City in accordance with the Centennial Municipal Code. Applicants must provide a completed application, individual history report, financial questionnaire and supporting documents to the City Clerk's Office. Centennial's Massage Parlor Licensing fees are outlined below:
|Description of Fee
|Initial Application Fee
|Annual Massage Parlor License Fee
Learn more about Massage Parlor Licensing in the City of Centennial.
- Mobile Food Vendor Permit (Centennial Center Park)
All mobile food vendors must meet certain requirements and obtain a Mobile Food Vendor Permit with the City prior to making food sales at Centennial Center Park.
Mobile vendor permits are valid for a one month period and must be resubmitted each month. Permit applications are due by the 15th of the previous month (i.e. applications for June are due by May 15th). Permits will be awarded by the 25th and must be paid for in full at the time of pick up. Cost for a one month permit is $25.
Mobile Food Vendor Application
- Pawnbroker Licensing
Pawnbrokers must be licensed by the City in accordance with the Centennial Municipal Code. Applications and fees must be submitted to the City Clerk's Office for processing. Pawnbroker Licensing fees are outlined below.
|Description of Fee
|Pawnbroker License Application Fee
|Annual Pawnbroker License Fee
|Manager Registration Fee
|Change of Corporate Structure Fee
|Change of Location Fee
Learn more about procedures and instructions.
- Special Events | Sales License
The City requires a License for Special Sales Events taking place in the City. A Special Sales event is an occasion in which three or more vendors gather in one location and sell items for a limited period of time, not to exceed seven consecutive days. An example of a Special Sales Event is an art or craft fair. The Special Sales Event License costs $10.00 and must be issued before the event.
Learn more about Special Sales Events.
View the City of Centennial Municipal Code for a compilation of current ordinances adopted by the City Council.