The Home-Based Business Code allows businesses to be operated in a single family home as a secondary use and ensures business operations will not have an negative impact on the character and quality of the life in the City’s neighborhoods.
The City has specific standards to address the physical features and operations associated with home based businesses. However, Home Owners Association (HOA) covenants, conditions and restrictions surpass the standards of this code section.
Starting a Home Business?
If you are interested in opening a home-based business, please consider the following guidelines:
- The business must be registered with the City and adhere to City standards
- Operations must be conducted entirely within the main residence
- There may be up to one employee who does not live at the residence
- Outdoor storage, displays or advertising is not allowed
- Excessive storage of hazardous materials is not allowed
- Excessive noise, odors, smoke, dust, glare or light is not allowed
- Commercial vehicles, equipment and trailers associated with the business are not allowed on the property
- Deliveries to and from the home by commercial vehicles are prohibited
- Businesses not compatible with a residential neighborhood are not allowed
2011 Land Development Code (LDC) by section
Report a violation online or call our 24-Hour Citizen Response Center at 303-325-8000.